To find out about Sports Premium funding please click on the About Us tab
Through the teaching of PE, here at St. Jude’s, we aim to provide a high-quality Physical Education curriculum that is inclusive to all. We provide opportunities for all pupils, to become physically confident in a way which supports their health and fitness, developing the importance of a healthy life-style and balanced diet. Our whole school curriculum drivers can be evidenced clearly in our teaching of PE.
Enrichment is central to PE providing opportunities for all children to compete within school and with other schools, building character, and encouraging a positive growth mind-set and the perseverance to keep trying to reach their full potential. Raising aspirations and personal pride for all, in every lesson and PE competition promotes values such as fair play, cooperating and collaborating with others as part of a team, respect for others and the aspiration to be more. These are all skills which can be transferred into the life skills needed to succeed at St. Jude’s and beyond.
Pupils at St Jude’s participate in weekly high quality PE and sporting activities lead by Wigan Athletic Community Trust (WACT). We invest in high quality CPD sessions for staff which take place weekly, led by the experts at WACT to ensure staff are confident in teaching and assessing PE and have the correct techniques and skills to help pupils progress.
Our PE programme incorporates a variety of sports and fundamental skills to ensure all children develop the confidence, tolerance and their own aspirations. We provide opportunities for all children to engage in extra-curricular activities during and after school and as part of our schools WOW’s cluster, in addition to competitive sporting events, led by WOW’s and the School Games. This is an inclusive approach which endeavors to encourage not only physical development but also a positive well-being and mindset for all pupils.
Through the teaching of PE, our pupils will hopefully grow up to live happy and healthy lives utilising the skills and knowledge learnt.
- Pupils in our school will enjoy taking part in PE and have positive attitudes towards Sports and Physical activity.
- Children will have experienced a wide range of sporting activities.
- At least 80% of pupils will achieve ARE or above in PE.
- Pupils in every year group will have taken part in a competition representing the school.
- Pupils will have a wide range of skills that can be transferrable across a range of sports.
- Pupils can take responsibility for their own health and fitness, developing a love of sport, leading to a happy and healthy life.
- Staff have the skills and knowledge to confidently assess and deliver high-quality PE lessons.
PE Subject Overview
PE Skills progression map
Click on the links below to see Medium term plans for year groups .
Useful PE websites to explore at home. Click on each website to find out more.